Saturday, December 24, 2022

Wreaths Across America 2022

Christie & I began volunteering with Wreaths Across America in 2019. Let's back track a little on how we got started. On December 15, 2018 my father attended the opening ceremony at Sunset Memorial Gardens Cemetery. After the hour-long ceremony my father made his way to Pineview Memorial Gardens where he is in charge of the wreath laying at that cemetery. As they began the laying of the wreaths my father reached over his trailer and collapsed. He was having a heart attack. Other members of the American Legion Post 71 North Augusta were also on site. They saw my dad collapse and sprung into action beginning CPR until Aiken County EMS arrived. My dad died seven times on the way to the hospital brought back every time. You can read more about his story here. He was in a medically induced coma for a week. When he came out of the coma I made a promise to him that I would be at every Wreaths Across America event with him from here on out.

2022 was our third year involved with this event. We left our house on Thursday night and drove half way. On Friday morning we arrived at my parents house at 11:30am and quickly jumped into my dad's truck and headed to Wade Hampton Veterans Memorial Park.

This will be the beginning of our weekend. The event at Wade Hampton Veterans Memorial Park was a short event. Post 71 laid a Wreath for all the military branches. After the ceremony we went to Monterreys Mexican Restaurant with my parents and the Wreaths Across America director for North Augusta Tony and his wife. After eating we talked telling old stories about past wreath layings and other things. I found out why Tony got involved with Wreaths Across America and it was because of his son. I don't know before this if Tony had any children or not but being retired military I figured he did, and I was right. Tony's son Anthony died while in Afghanistan. Hearing Tony tell his son's story made me understand even more of why I drive 210 miles to my parents every third week of December.Saturday morning while we were at the opening ceremony at Sunset Memorial Gardens, Tony said something in his speech that stuck with me. "When you lay a wreath remember the name, go home and Google it. That person has a story." After the ceremony at Sunset Memorial, Christie, Dad, and myself headed over to Pineview Memorial Gardens. We laid out wreaths on the fallen veterans headstones, said their names out loud, and thanked them for their service. The sad part of the whole event, which is funded by donations,is that we don't have enough wreaths for all the headstones of fallen veterans. After we finished up at Pineview we went to Sunset Hill Cemetery where my mom is in charge of that location for laying out wreaths. There is so much time invested in this event and so many volunteers every year.

While planning my visit to South Carolina this year, I asked my parents if it would be possible to visit Ft. Jackson while on my visit. Before going onto the actual base my mom wanted to visit Ft Jackson National Cemetery to view all the wreaths that had been laid out the day before. 

It's such a beautiful view with all the wreaths laid out. Just knowing that these men and women are the reason for our freedom. 

I haven't been to Ft Jackson since 2000. This is my first visit in twenty-two years. First time in thirty-six years I've been on this base with my parents. So many memories jumped into my mind. This is the first time that I get to show Christie one of the places where I grew up. Naturally things have changed a little since the last time I was here. The house I lived in, the elementary school, and the baseball field I played on have all been torn down.

Even though all those places are torn down, the memories will always be there. Just walking on the baseball field where as a kid I was one of the top players in Columbia,SC. I could hear the parents cheering us on, I could see all my teammates in the dugout, I could hear the bats hitting the ball. It's just a great moment for me to be able to share this with my wife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment